August 16


Third Cave Exploration  ❧ Sets logs on fire ❧ Moving camp ❧ The talents of Miss Layton 



Page 13

Aug 16th 1878

On a high bluff above camp

Aug 17th I begin writing my journal of yesterday. we made our morning ablutions quite early and after breaking our fast during the night on bacon and dried venison each individual member of our party proceeded to amuse himself as best he could. Judge Prim and Mr. Bellinger went up to where the horses were. they before returning to camp [climbed] the mountain for a view of the [surrounding] country.1 Jerry [Sennan], Chris [Wintjen], and myself [started] again for the cave to [gather?] specimens we went over the same ground nearly that we [had] already gone over, [but] in a few exceptions I went where none other[s?] had gone, in particular when Chris and I went into the right hand gallery after exploring for some distance I found a place where there were several openings but very narrow and just sufficient height to admit the body into this place I crawled and found quite2 a grotto which was [as] beautiful

Footnotes:

1: I first read this as, “Judge Primm and Mr. Bellinger went up to where the horses were … before scheming to camp elsewhere”, which I think would have been more fun (for me, but not for Miller)


2: Knutson says “quickly”, but there are not enough letters. “quick” is possible, but it would mean compressing the “u” and “i” into a single letter. “quite” is I think more likely, besides which Miller seems to like the word.
Page 14

and fantastical1 as any I had seen[.] this place I named “Miller’s Grotto” as I was the first to discover it[.] We procured numerous specimens and after staying in two or three hour came out and packed [them] for [carrying] home. I then wrote my journal of the day previous. After which dinner [?]2  in order [.?] we proceeded to appease our appetites on the same the same [bill] of fare as for breakfast. during the meal Mr. [Slagle?]3 came in and [reported] having killed a deer a [fine] [five] point buck. I was deputized to go with him for the fore [parts] of the deer. we went over the same trail that we came in on. After packing the deer on the horse, he[?the carrying the Shoulders and ribs and I the head[. / ,] I set fire to several big logs on the way so as to burn out the trail. We were gone from camp [almost?? / just??] two hours. When we returned the other party had gone.

Footnotes:

1: Knutson says “fantastic”, but the “-al” is unequivocal.


2: possibly “begins”, but missing the “g”.


3: I thought “Slagh” at first, but compare to mention on page 19.
Page 15

we packed up and started [but] [the] pack fell off [three?] [time?] before we arrived in camp. The way was right up a steep [mountain] for about a mile, [until?] we struck the trail. my back began [to?] pain [me] from being [injured] while [cralling?]1 in the cave. the road being good I rode to camp. the wind had risen during the trip and was blowing quite a gale when we pitched camp. the other party had been in camp but had to [move] on account of the wind. Mr. Basey gave me some [rostenears?]2 to cook and with the fat buck killed by Mr. [Slagle] we feasted [right?] royally. Mr. [?] [Foudary] made some very nice bread and with the venison roasted on sticks made our supper one to be relished by the most fastidious epicure. [Miss]  [Layton] and [Miss] Jenny [Caryle?] visited our camp having [two?] [nice?] [bouquets?]3 [gather?]4 from the lake to the north East of camp.5 Our party claim that [Miss]

Footnotes:

1: crawling

2: Roastears is a term for “corn on the cob”, of which “roastenears” appears to be alternate form. Miller writes “rostenears”, but it must be “roastenears”, as later he references having eaten “green corn”.

3: What he writes looks like “boquets”, maybe it is mispelled? And “gather” is not the right tense, but a slight bit of the page may be cut off in the image. As a whole, this sentence is very difficult to read. Compare also preceding “nice” to the “nice” above on the same page.

4: Possibly “gathered”, but the page is slightly cut-off in the image.


5: Hard to interpret. Maybe this means that Miss L- and Miss Jenny C- were from the other party, but they came back to visit, bringing bouquets.
Page 16

[Layton] has a superior voice for singing she certainly is a young lady who provided she had the requisite advantages would shine in any society.
            Mr. Fiddler and I slept together[.] The night was a fearfully cold one on account of the wind.
            We visited the other camp and had the gentlemen of the camp visit us, the evening was spent in pleasant converse. We all [turned?] in at a [reasonable]1 hour and [?] the cold we [slept??]2 comfortably until early morn.3

Footnotes:

1: If “seasonable”, maybe a joke on the cold? But then, look at the “r” in “present” at the bottom of page 21.

2: Looks like only “slep”. Maybe another word entirely?


3: An odd statement because he entirely contradicts himself on the next page, if this is really what he wrote.