About
Miller's journal is referenced in Steven Knutson's Oregon Caves: The Pioneer Exploration and the New Discoveries (2006). This work quotes a few sections of the journal, and credits Miller with the first use of the cave's "eventual name" when he wrote that he went "with a good supply of candles to explore the great cave of Oregon". However, as far as I could tell, no typed transcript of the journal existed outside of these few fragments.
The journal is housed in the Robert A. Miller Papers, a special collection held at the University of Oregon, call number Ax 070. I am very grateful to the staff of the University of Oregon's Special Collections and University Archives unit for allowing me to look at and photograph these materials. I am also grateful to M. Lang, without whose encouragement, general generosity, and, well, car, I could not have visited the U of O, as well as to L. Hartman, who provided important help in reading Miller's handwriting.